Wednesday, 6 November 2019

Flow-type journal cover

I turned a 20p hardback book from a charity shop into this cover for a flow-type journal.  Once the pages were removed I gessoed the cover and added some torn scraps of book paper, then used three colours of my brand-new Brushos to colour it purples and blues.  I really enjoyed playing with the Brushos and plan on trying out some more techniques soon.  I stencilled the front cover with an alphabet stencil and the back with the Daisy Burst stencil from Artisan Design.  I used matt gel through the stencils and once it was dry highlighted it with Diamond Starlight Wax and added a beaded dangle to the spine. 



The inside was lined with an off-cut of wallpaper. As it's going to be a flow-type journal, which will hold papers, envelopes etc. for the recipient to use in her own journal making, I decided to use elastic cord to hold the contents in. I made an inside spine and tied the elastic round that so it wasn't visible on the outside and trimmed it with Washi tape.


Here's the finished journal, stuffed full of goodies!


Sunday, 3 November 2019

Sew Loved Journal


I made this journal based on the Sew Loved digital kit from melodimade.com.  I was part of the design team and it was a great privilege to be given the journal kit to play with.  I also used some images from Calico Collage, the Paper Craft Tutor and my stash, including the instruction manual from the vintage sewing machine we found in the loft when we moved here!

Tuesday, 29 October 2019

New Home card

A New Home card using Artisan Design UK's Sycamore stencil, distress inks in shades of green and blue and some magazine covermount stamps from my stash. Quick tip - stencil glue is fabulous for stopping stencils from slipping, and it doesn't lift the paper, unlike Washi tape.

All the best to Pete and Paul in their new home!


Thursday, 24 October 2019

I'm in print!

I was so excited to see that there's an article about me and my crafting in this month's WI Life magazine.  I was interviewed and photographed a while back and finally I'm in print!  Thank you Chloe Davies for writing the article and Rhondell from RELM Photography for the great pictures, and to everyone from NJJM and FJJP who have sent me the RAKs and swaps in some of the photos.  Look closely and you may spot some of your work!



Halloween Stuffed Pocket


I don't normally do much for Halloween but this is a stuffed pocket I made for a swap on the Newbie Junk Journal Makers Facebook group.  The basis is a 9" x 12" strip of paper, folded lengthways to make a 4.5" x 12" strip and scored at 5" from the bottom to make the first pocket.  The middle pocket is 4.5" wide by 3" .  I made it double thickness for strength so I cut a piece 4.5" x 6" and folded it in half.  The third pocket is 4.5" x 1.5" so I cut 4.5" x 3" and again folded it in half.  You could of course make them 9" wide and fold them in half the other way, it depends what size your scraps of paper are. Just be careful of using one-way designs: make sure they are the right way up when folded.


The pockets all line up at the base. I made them all top-loading so glued both sides and the bottom. I trimmed the top of the largest pocket with lace, the middle with gold ball chain and the bottom one with spotty ribbon.  I also added a parade of spiders from some Halloween table confetti.



I used the packaging from the confetti to make a couple of pockets on the back as well.  The idea of the swap was to add plenty of Halloween ephemera, so I printed some tags and journalling cards from Calico Collage and the Graphics Fairy, and added some elements from a Halloween bunting.



One well and truly stuffed Halloween pocket. I hope the recipient will enjoy it.

Sunday, 29 September 2019

Authentic Soul journal embellishments


I was lucky enough to be a member of the design team for the Authentic Soul Boho digital kit from Melodimade.com in September.  I have made various embellishments from the kit, including tags, envelopes and a library pocket, and I've had some fun with altered paperclips, a ticket strip and even a giant piece from a child's jigsaw puzzle.







It really is a beautiful kit with a great boho feel, do check it out.  I just love those fairy doors!

Saturday, 13 July 2019

Printing with shaving foam


Some Artist Trading Coins I've made for an Artisan Design UK challenge. The marbled background is made using shaving foam printing (the challenge theme) and I've stencilled Sparkle Medium on two and glass bead gel on the third to make waves using the Laurel Burst mask from the Stacy's Garden Collection. 

If you've never tried printing with shaving foam you really should give it a go - it's very easy and it makes the craft room smell wonderful too!  All you do is spray a good layer of shaving foam into a tray big enough to take a sheet of paper, drop some inks or paints on top and swirl it with a stick to make a marble pattern, lay your paper on top and rub the back gently, peel it off and leave it to stand for about five minutes, then scrape off the foam and reveal your print.  Keep going with the foam, you can add more paint or ink as needed and gets loads of prints in one session - just make sure you've got enough room to lay them all out to dry.  I used the shower squeegee to scrape off the foam but you can easily do it with a scrap piece of card.  The only thing I had to buy was a cheap can of shaving foam, as hubby has a beard!

After covering the coin blanks with the paper I added stencilling with Sparkle Medium and glass bead gel to add a seaspray effect, using a mask from Artisan Design's Stacy's Garden Collection.  The pattern is actually laurel leaves, but it's such a versatile design it can be used for all sorts of effects. The dolphins and turtle were from an old calendar, the orca is a sticker, and I finished off with some eyelash yarn and some handwritten words.