Saturday 20 October 2018

Snippet Roll

The Newbie Junk Journal Makers Facebook group ran a challenge this week to make a snippet roll.  Yes I had to look it up too!  It's basically a long strip of fabric, embellished with lace, buttons, beads, ribbons - anything you like really.  I've never made one before, but seeing the pretty little rolls the ladies on the group were posting I felt I really had to have a go for myself.  I discovered it's also a brilliant way to use up some of those little odds and ends that accumulate on a craft table!

I cut a strip of fabric from a sleeve of an old blouse, dug out the sewing machine and just started adding lace and odds and ends of ribbon until it was covered.  I then added beading samples I'd worked up years ago,  a couple of keys, a brass filigree embellishment and some buttons and beads from my bit box.

It was great fun to make and I'd definitely do another.  This one had a size restriction for the challenge but I'd make a longer one next time.  Traditionally they are rolled round an old wooden cotton reel but I might hang this one on the wall instead

No comments:

Post a Comment